søndag 30. mars 2014

Behold The Mold!



As this was my first time working with silicone, a lot could have gone wrong, but it turned out perfect!
I was really anxious about air bubbles being trapped in the mold and making voids, but it couldn't have turned out better.
A shout out of thanks goes to Aslak for giving me pointers and sharing his expertise regarding molding with silicone and casting in resin.
And a huge thanks also goes to Matt Munson and his blog for giving me a practical way to make a mold and subsequent casts.


I managed to make three successful casts (after failing the first attempt) after work tonight, and we can see the learning curve I had. First I just measured up the amount of resin I calculated was needed for a cast,  stirred it for a while 'till it was goopy and poured it all in and slushed it around, something that didn't work out at all, as the resin was too thick to get into the fine detail, and too slippery to adhere to the sides all around the mold. The second cast I poured the resin in while it was still very runny, and tried the slushingmethod again, which ended up becoming real goopy and messy as well. I refined the technique using less and less resin, opting to cast each side separately, while waiting 10 minutes for each side to cure a bit. The last panels are probably going to be really nice. :)







A little clean-up around the edges, a quick wash and it's ready for paint. Then I just have to amass the 100+ greeblies that go on the panels, something that shouldn't be too hard.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar